OK, so… Everyone says you need a strategic marketing plan, right? In fact, you may feel like you’re getting hammered with that little bit of advice (including from us). Then you find out you need a marketing foundation to build it on. That’s OK; until you discover the foundation has parts that need to be included.
Since when does a foundation have PARTS? It’s like, a simple slab of concrete with a few load-bearing walls. There are no parts to a foundation! Are there? Argh!
Turns out, as long as we don’t take it too literally, there kind of are parts to a foundation. Plus, and more importantly, we have to remember the purpose of a foundation: To distribute the load of the structure – your marketing strategy – over a large bearing area to bring the intensity of loading within the safe bearing capacity.
In other words, as a bit of a metaphor, your strategic marketing foundation must be able to bear a pretty heavy load or your marketing plan may collapse. Then where are you?
Identify the Parts of Your Marketing Strategy
Now that we understand how the foundation of your strategy supports your marketing plan, keeping everything upright and functioning properly, let’s take a look at some of the component parts you need to put in place.
As we mentioned in a previous post, nothing that lasts can be built without a solid foundation. Plus, considering the stress and confusion of the year we’ve just been through, overcoming uncertainty and even fear of failure in 2021 could be really tough. The solution then is to take bold action that will enhance your online reputation, build brand awareness, and engage with your target audience in ways that lead to conversions!
All of this begs the question of exactly what that foundation you’ve worked so hard to build will be supporting.
- Identify your ideal client – Who do you want to work with and whom do you think will want to work with you? Have you answered these questions? You need a profile of precisely whom you will be targeting in your marketing plan. Without it, you’re going to be all over the place with your messaging.
- Create your unique customer avatar – Success is in the details. An avatar helps you take that profile to the next level and makes the ideal client real to you. Instead of trying to appeal to some kind of vague “them”, the focus of your marketing message will be on individuals with an identity, the real human beings who will benefit from doing business with you.
- Hone and build your individual brand identity – Who are you? What do you have to offer? How do clients relate to you? All of these questions (and more) must be answered as part of establishing yourself as an expert in your niche. That is where brand identity comes from.
- Narrow your target market to engage them more effectively – You simply can’t be all things to all people (and you must stop trying). While it might be nice if every person on the planet wanted what you’re offering, that is just not realistic. You need to fully commit to the ideal client profile you’ve created and accept that your client avatar includes your entire audience.
- Build your initial market strategy on these foundational steps – Wow. That looks like a lot of market research and planning, doesn’t it? It sure does. And, once you complete it, you’ll have a concise, straightforward approach to basic marketing concepts and the foundation of your strategy. Yum!
But (there had to be a “but”, right?) But, where do you go from there? That’s why we’re here! To help you answer that question and all the others that are suddenly racing through your mind. (Can you tell we’ve done this before?) 😊
With our Foundations Strategy Package, we’re here to help you bear the load of building your marketing strategy while offering you the blueprint you need to set the stage for success. It’s time to put in place the building blocks needed to support your bold approach to marketing your business in 2021… AND beyond!
If you’re ready to get started on your new, bolder marketing strategy right away, click here.
If you still have questions about how we can be your strategic marketing partner for 2021, click here to schedule a complimentary consultation and get your questions answered.